Sign Permits FAQ

- Do I need a sign permit before displaying a sign?
Yes, all signs on the outside of the building, attached or detached, normally require a permit before being displayed. To be permitted, they need to pass the sign code or regulations for each city/county in which they are located.

- Do I need a sign permit before changing or modifying an existing sign?
Yes, if it is an exterior sign, most municipalities will require a sign permit application.

- Do I need a sign permit for temporary signage?
Yes, most cities and villages will require a sign permit application. Temporary sign permits are different from new or permanent sign permits and are often limited to time and frequencies (i.e. good for 30 days, twice a year).

- Can I submit an exception or variation request?
Yes, you can address your request to the Plan Commission/Zoning Board of Appeals. You will need to explain your reasoning and you might have to go through the Public Hearing process in which case you would also have to post Public Hearing Signs prior to the hearing.

- Besides Sign Permit Applications, what else might be needed?
Requirements vary, but may include:

  • Drawings of the proposed sign

  • Proposed sizes, materials and color scheme of sign

  • Plat of Survey with Legal Description

  • Plans of building drawn to scale showing location of signs and dimensions of building

  • The distance of the proposed sign from the subject property’s boundaries

  • Property Owner's signature and approval

  • Contractor's License

  • Surety Bond

  • Proof of Insurance

  • Electrical License (for electrical or illuminated signs)

  • Payment of permits and fees.

- Why are Sign Permits required?
  • Signs can be a thing of beauty or the town’s worst eye sore.

  • Signs in the wrong place can hinder a driver’s view of oncoming traffic.

  • Aesthetic concerns – signs can only be so high or wide, uniformity, conformity, etc.

  • Brightness/change frequency of digital displays may be distracting or a nuisance.

- Who do I contact regarding sign permits or requirements?
A good start is always the respective Planning and Public Works Department. A lot of information is also posted on their websites; for easy reference you might want to click any of the below links:

- For more City or Village specific Links and Sign Permit Requirements click here: 

City / Village Name Direct Link to Sign Permit Forms
Arlington Heights, IL 60005, 60004, 60006 Village of Arlington Heights
Barrington, IL 60010 Village of Barrington
Buffalo Grove, IL 60062 Village of Buffalo Gove
Chicago, IL City of Chicago
Des Plaines, IL 60016, 60018 City of Des Plaines
Elk Grove Village, IL 60007, 60009 Elk Grove Village
Hoffman Estate, IL 60195 Village of Hoffman Estates
Itasca, IL 60143  Village of Itasca
Glenview , IL 60026 Village of Glenview
Kildeer, IL 60047 Village of Kildeer
Lake Zurich, IL 60047 Village of Lake Zuirch
Lincolnshire, IL 60069 Village of Lincolnshire
Long Grove, IL 60049 Village of Long Grove
Mt. Prospect, IL 60056 Village of Mt. Prospect
Mundelein, IL 60060 Village of Mundelein
Northbrook, IL  60062, 60065 Village of Northbrook
Palatine, IL 60074, 60067 Village of Palatine
Prospect Heights, IL 60070 City of Prospect Heights
Rolling Meadows, IL 60008 City of Rolling Meadows
Round Lake, IL 60073 Village of Round Lake
Schaumburg, IL 60173, 60194, 60194, Village of Schaumburg
Vernon Hills, IL 60061 Village of Vernon Hills
Wheeling , IL 60090 Village of Wheeling

Get a Quote
Call Us